September 28, 2008

Pure

Worship used to be pure for me. I remember when I first attended the Barn, I would get lost in worship. It could never be long enough. I felt that worship was a sacred place where I (and also we) could do no wrong. I loved it because I felt that I transcended my normally unfocused, mixed life, to a place where I was pure. Like white marble, without any marking. Like gold, clear as transparent glass.

Over the years, that has changed. Depressions that I endured altered that somewhat. Joining worship team certainly did that. One disappointment that I faced when I first joined worship team was that these beautiful, meaningful songs could be treated lightly and irreverently by the people who sang and played them. I know now that this was part of their learning process, and that they meant no dishonor to the Lord in their playfulness, but it was a big shock for me.

Later, I spent years on worship team when I wanted to escape church at the earliest possibility. When I knew that if anyone suggested that I shouldn't be there that I would leave the team in a heartbeat. When I would force myself to not look at the clock until we had done two songs because I didn't want to look up and see that we were only five minutes into worship. When evening worship would take so much out of me that I would feel horrible afterward. When people would say "wasn't worship great?" and I would have no clue that it had been any different than usual. During those times, I forced myself to lead worship, and act as if I felt what I sang. I sang in faith.

Those were hard times, but they taught me some things. I think that they have made my worship more sure, because I have learned to lead worship whether I feel like it or not. Leading worship is work, and like other work it can be fulfilling or it can be difficult. The important thing is to get the work done. And worship is a good and honorable work.

Despite the good things that I now see coming from this time, the hard times have still left a mark on my worship. It is no longer the pure place it once was for me. Because worship is no longer just a place of joy for me but has all of this other history to it, it is not as pure as it once was.

So what is pure? Oddly enough, Scripture has been feeling pure to me. I say "oddly enough" because Scripture used to be the place I avoided because there I was condemned by how bad a Christian I was. I don't know when the change occurred, but lately, and particularly when I have been worshiping and my spirit is open, Scripture has been a balm and a marvel. I can feel the richness, the beauty of it. It feels like it is pure.

Because Scripture deals with both God and man, some Scripture feels more pure than others. I don't mean that some Scripture is better or worse on some absolute scale because it talks about man's sins. I mean that some portions of Scripture stand out more as being filled with that sweet goodness of God, and when I read it with my spirit, I feel like I am in that place of focus and purity that pushes out everything that is lesser.

Last Thursday we sang Revelation Song at our kinship group. Afterward, with my spirit all opened up, I read Revelation 4, where many of the words of the song come from.

I read it in the NIV, but here it is in The Message. Go ahead and read it; it's short. I'll wait.

Oh my Lord, my Lord! High and lifted up!

This Scripture is pure and full of rightness. This chapter is all about the exaltation and unassailable sovereignty of God. You don't get anywhere near the throne of God - or this Scripture - with thoughts of rebellion or dishonor or deception. He is King, He rules, and the most amazing creatures ever made worship Him all the time. And He is so spectacularly beautiful, so shockingly splendid that if we were to be suddenly in His presence, any pretension of independence that we might imagine we could have before His throne would be swept away. We would quickly be on our faces in adulation and worship, and glad of every second that we could spend like that.

Can I find superlatives enough for Him? Can I say enough to lift up His name?

17 comments:

  1. I have to add that I think that singing in tongues still feels pretty pure to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Can I find superlatives enough for Him? Can I say enough to lift up His name?" No, but don't let that stop you!!

    Amen and Amen! Gotta love the word of God (and the God of the word)! I am glad you have found that place of purity again, my friend! "Oh, for a thousand tongues to sing my Great Redeemer's praise...!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revelation has had a special place in my heart for a very long time. I love how it begins with "a door standing open..." because that portrays the very inclusive heart of God; how he wants us to be close, wants us to know Him. And open door is nothing but a very clear invitation, right?!?!

    And...how about all those eyes on the creatures?! It mentions there eyes TWICE; they must have a TON of them. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, meant to say Revelation 4 has a special place in my heart...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this with us; one of my most favorite scriptures starts out "rely not on your own understanding" because there have been so many times in my interactions with christians/churches and non christians that I was so puzzled at what the point of it was supposed to be, and could only see it later (sometimes YEARS later) and only then could know it was obviously a part of god's plan all along. I used to downplay the importance of scripture in my relationship with god, and now also find that it brings me much peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess: I tend to interpret Revelation metaphorically. Not that I doubt that John saw what he saw, but I am of the opinion that heaven is so far beyond what a human can perceive or comprehend that God has to translate it into sights that make sense to the person having the vision in order for them to perceive anything.

    All this to say that I think that the many eyes represents that the creatures are fully aware (they "see" everything, all around them). The NAS says that they are "full of eyes around and within," which I take to mean that they are also fully self-aware; they see inside themselves. They have no blind spots; they see everything, both around them and within them.

    I love this interpretation because it means that they are not deluded into this worship. They see fully, and their choice is to spend all of their time worshiping the King.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very good point, but I still like to think of them as having TONS of eyes!!!!:-p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, bah! Stick your tongue out if you will! :-)

    One thing I like about Revelation is John's restraint in recording what he saw.

    If I had seen those animals, I'd probably be like, "These creatures had EYES all over their bodies! Eyes on the backs of their heads, eyes on their legs and on their wings! They even has eyes INSIDE their bodies! I couldn't believe it! It was the weirdest thing I ever saw, and kind of gross."

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol. but maybe their eyes are beautiful, you know, the window to the soul and all that...Can you imagine how long it takes for them to apply their mascara in the morning, though?

    Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having never applied mascara, no, I can't imagine.

    Are you telling me there is makeup in heaven? Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. of course, but not the kind you can imagine or for the reasons you think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peaj, I am one of the chief offenders of making meaningful and serious songs light..

    I kind of feel like theres a difference between singing a song and worshiping. During practice we're just running through the technical aspects of the song and I'm not really engaged with the spirit, but during worship I close my eyes and fully enter into worship and touch God's spirit and a song becomes something so much more.

    I hope I haven't upset you at all when I joke around (mainly with Brian - man I'm still laughing about the Canoe of God)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My upset with how worship songs were treated happened long, long ago. Way before your time. Sometime in the late '60s, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The late '60s?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And yeah, there just might be make-up in heaven...Some people see make-up as an art form, much like a painter uses paint for expression; a face is just another canvas and make-up is another kind of paint.

    I think fashion is an art form, so yeah-never thought about it before, but I think it could be. Not to cover oneself up or try to make perfect what one considers imperfect, but as an art form, certainly.

    Just my opinion;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. kathie: yeah, Woodstock was incredible, man.

    Jess: Well, I guess if you can get thrown out of heaven for not wearing wedding clothes (Mat. 22:11-13), and you don't feel properly dressed without your face done, then I guess there could be makeup in heaven.

    Which wasn't your argument, of course. Interesting to think of it as an art form. I wonder if much effort will be spent in heaven on adorning ourselves, or on some people adorning other people because they enjoy that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In heaven I will be content to wear His glory and grace on my form and my face!!

    ReplyDelete