September 19, 2008

Before and After

I wanted a picture of Hawk Mountain for my desktop, but I didn't want all the people in the picture. So I used the free Paint.NET to remove the people from the picture.

Here is the picture before editing:


And here is the picture after:


I think this turned out pretty well. I had fun with this project!

Today we went to Lums Pond to play disc ("frisbee") golf. We had a great time. My son had the lowest score, and while I could tell he was pleased, he didn't gloat or abuse anyone else, including his sister. I did the next best, I think, though I may have tied with my daughter. My darling wife has a tough time with frisbee physics, but she didn't seem upset. We cheered each other on, helped each other out, were generous with each other. My son even called "do over" for my wife at one point when she had a particularly bad tee shot. We just had a good time with each other.

Afterwards we went to Applebees, where I was kind of quiet as I imagined a story where a time traveler from the future shows up on Mars and shows himself to one of the Mars explorer's cameras, warning Earth of his pending arrival. then I thought about him coming to Earth with all kinds of cool technologies to help people. I was thinking "How would he be received? Would this ultimately be a blessing, or a curse? Would this benefit only the rich, or everyone?"

So that was a lot of my day.

3 comments:

  1. what glorious breathtaking pix in your last two posts, and what beautiful experiences with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the human mind works! You spend a few days with your family in a gorgeous (earthly) setting, come home, play frisbee in a park, and eat a meal at an Applebees (nothing space-related there), and imagine Martians coming to Earth. Where does that come from?!

    ...wait...it was the Frisbees, wasn't it?...because they look like flying saucers, right?! ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where it came from. Vacation generally gets me to be more imaginative. One thing that I loved during this vacation was that at one point I spent about half an hour just looking at the fire, alone with my thoughts, with no desire to fill them with videos or even the book I brought along.

    And in regards to the Frisbee, I was actually thinking that it would be really cool to show up in a 1950s-style rocketship, wearing a similarly retro spacesuit.

    ReplyDelete