September 3, 2008

The Final Song

In my mind there is the idea of a Final Song. I've had this a-Scriptural idea for a long time, mostly without even recognizing that this is how I felt. I even wrote a short story about it in college. It is the idea that at the end of time all of God's People will gather and will together sing together a song of worship to the Lamb on the throne of God. There could be dancing. The song will last forever, or least for a very long time. The Lord will be honored and lifted up and exalted and we will feel the bliss that we have all experienced in awesome worship. Forever!*

Through the years I have identified various songs that could be sung in this way. On the end of a Petra album they sang a chorus to Jesus that had wailing guitars in the background that they repeated and repeated and then just faded away. I can't remember what song it is, but at the time it sounded like a good candidate. Holy Holy Holy (maybe this song?) was also one of those. A lot of the old Jewish choruses that we would sing were also like that. God of all Glory by Jeremy Riddle is a modern one that works, too. Our God is an Awesome God by Rich Mullins sounded like it would work, though I'm not sure about the verses. Maybe we just put it on Brother Rich to keep coming up with snappy history lessons about God and we can antiphone "Our God is an Awesome God" until we get back to the chorus.

OK, I know antiphone isn't a word, but doesn't it sound like it ought to be the verb form of antiphony?

Anyway, this concept came to mind again because Revelation Song, mentioned in my earlier post, is a definite candidate for the Final Song. So get used to it, you'll be singing it forever.*

What do you think of the Final Song idea? Do you have any candidates for songs?

* or at least for a very long time.

6 comments:

  1. I don't love the idea of one final song; I would like to have the freedom to keep creating new songs, I think.

    But, interesting thought--and I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would almost feel like I was not in heaven but... somewhere else if they kept singing the same song over and over again. I know what you mean, but oh my goodness!!!

    Actually there is a UPS store around here, and no matter when I go in there, months apart even, they are playing Matchbox 20's song "Crazy" (I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.) on repeat. It's horrible for even the 15 minutes I spend in there.

    It would have to be a song like Greenday's Jesus of Suburbia or Keith Green's Prodigal Son Suite, which sneakily is actually many different songs crammed into one long song for it to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jase, I'm with you on the repetitive music thing - I hate going shopping during Christmas because you hear the same tired renditions of those same songs.

    On the other hand, I have come to appreciate repetition in worship. I remember the first time I listened to live gospel music - I thought "oh my gosh, how boring and repetitive." But now I think I understand why gospel is so repetitive. After a while, you forget about the next part you have to sing, and what cool tricky line you are going to add, and you start being able to focus on the words and their meaning. I think, in a way, it is similar to the monotony of a chant used in meditation in other religions. So I think that it has its uses.

    It's something like:
    Sing it once, and it will be good.
    Sing it three times, and it will be great.
    Sign it seven times, and I will actually understand what it is I have been singing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care what we'll be singing, I will just be so happy to worship God forever (or at least for a very long time) and not have to stop because I have to go to the bathroom, because I am tired, or my voice gave out, or whatever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. at some point someone will starting singing

    "This is the song that never ends...."

    Then it will all be over..

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's when we take a break to start eating. For a very long time.

    ReplyDelete