August 12, 2008

Entertaining missionaries

Fair warning: The countries and full names of the missionaries discussed below should not be mentioned. If you include them in the comments, I will delete your comment.

I spent the last two days with missionaries - one pair on their way out, and one pair on their way back.

First up were Pam and Vern on Sunday. They are on their way to a Western Asia country this month. It is always a treat to see them. I have such a deep love for Pam especially, and she seems to have an affection for me as well. Pam is so rich in character, so precious. She reminds me of the phrase that I have come up with for those whom the Spirit has especially put on my heart: my Golden People, people so rich in virtue and worth that it should be obvious to everyone how valuable they are.

After a little talk and a short video, we got to pray for them. I had two prophetic words for Pam. I was so glad that I got to see them, that I got to lead worship on Sunday, that I was able to pray strong, faithful prayers for them and that I had words for them. It was such a delight.

Second, Rob and Iris are back from their central Asia country. They have been in country for six years, and they are back for a year for refreshing and for education for Rob. They and their three kids stayed at our house Monday night; they are on their way to New England where Rob will go to school. Monday evening we had a get together at the Barn for them, and many people from the Webb Road house were there: Todd and Amy Trotman, Bill and Tracey Beck, Judy Hubbard, Rich Campbell, Jenny used-to-be-Fenton (can't remember her married name :-( ), Jeff Snyder. It was good to see them. I remember the last time they returned, how discouraged and burnt-out they were; it was good to see them doing better and more relaxed. They spoke about some of the amazing things that they have seen - people getting saved through their own and other people's dreams, religious leaders learning about Jesus and feeling that they can no longer teach from their own holy book. They also had a presentation, and we got to pray for them too.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend much time with Rob and Iris. We got back to the house late, and then they left shortly after I left for work this morning. But it was good to see them.



OK, so I am always very serious in my blog. I've been trying to think of something to lighten up a bit. So, in thinking about Rob, I remember one step along the way to him marrying Iris. He had been praying about it, and he was really conflicted because he knew he was dedicated to being a missionary and really wanted to know God's will - should he take a wife with him? Well, as it turns out NCF had a retreat at Black Rock, and a prophetic couple (the Downings?) were there to minister to people. Rob went for his turn, and it seems to me that I was in the room when he got prayed for. This seems strange to me, because it seems to break personal ministry etiquette a bit; maybe I just imagined the scene from Rob telling me the story. Anyway, the couple had a vision of a "smiling girl" that would be in Rob's life. When they said "smiling girl" Rob just beamed and and laughed; if you have ever met Iris, you know that she is very sweet and positive, and she is one of those people whose face just naturally seems to relax into a smile. It was a confirmation for him of what he was supposed to do. It was a very sweet prophecy.

5 comments:

  1. that's beautiful!

    sometimes I get confused as to whether I actually witnessed an event or have just heard about it so many times that I created my own memory for it, too:-)

    The people you mentioned are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten Pam and Vern and Rob and Iris would be in town this Sunday and Monday. :-( Well, even if I had remembered, I don't know if I would have been there, we were so tired from our trip. I agree with your assessment of Pam and Vern, especially Pam. I love these two people. Pam has always been so thoughtful to ask about and pray for Nathan. She has always been such an encouragement to me.

    I did not know that story about Rob, but "smiling girl" is definitely a perfect description of Iris! They are a sweet couple. I always enjoy reading about them and the exciting things happening where they are!

    How nice for you to be able to see your former housemates! When did Jenny Fenton get married? I had not heard that. We send her a Christmas card every year (well, not last Christmas, I procrastinated so much that I was too embarrassed to send out the rest of my cards).

    ReplyDelete
  3. J: Yeah, I don't feel so bad about the whole memory-creation thing since it happened twenty years ago or so. Gosh, I'm old! ;-)

    K: I think she got married last year.

    I don't know if you know Judy Hubbard, but she has moved back to Delaware (Lewes). I believe I heard that Mark will be in Afghanistan for another few years (maybe as long as five). She's still the same upbeat Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Judy real well, but I do know her. How old are her kids now (they did have kids, right)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, they have two. I think one is in college and one just graduated. She is on Facebook, if you are.

    ReplyDelete