March 23, 2009

Mindful of him

A verse for my birthday:
Job 7:16 I loathe [my life]; I would not live alway: Let me alone; for my days are vanity. (ASV)
You may laugh, but there was a time when this was the type of thoughts that I used to have on my birthday. In those days, my birthday was a day of mourning and sorrow.

But I digress. I found this verse in the ASV because I was looking for the word "vanity" in Ecclesiastes. The verse above is followed by these verses:
Job 7:17 What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him, And that thou shouldest set thy mind upon him, 18 And that thou shouldest visit him every morning, And try him every moment? 19 How long wilt thou not look away from me, Nor let me alone till I swallow down my spittle?
The NIV puts it thus:
17 "What is man that you make so much of him, that you give him so much attention, 18 that you examine him every morning and test him every moment? 19 Will you never look away from me, or let me alone even for an instant?
This put me in mind of another Scripture:
Psalm 8:4 what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? 5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. (NIV)
I found this remarkable - that the same idea ("what is man") led to two different expressions, one of despair, and one of awe:

What is man that you, God, make so much of him, that you pester him so?
What is man that you, God, make so much of him, that you lift him up so high?

David redeemed Job's thought. He took the same idea, and changed it from a reason to despair to a reason to rejoice. A good reminder that perspective and attitude matter.

Even concerning ones' birthday.

4 comments:

  1. Exactly!

    BTW, I did wish you a blessed and happy birthday on Facebook, but in case you missed it in the multitude of wishes you received...Happy Birthday, PJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ladies! It is so nice to get so many nice birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete