November 7, 2008

Happy Birthday, John

Today my son turns 17.
  • I remember working on my computer, and my wife of five months coming up to me and quietly leaning her head against me. I asked her what was wrong, and she asked, "What if we're pregnant?" And even though I was just as scared of being a parent as she was, the Spirit quickened this answer to me: "That would be great!" He also gave me this gem in the ensuing conversation: "Our baby won't be scary, because he won't be a stranger. He'll be part of us."
  • I remember driving to the birth center, praying furiously for my laboring wife in the back seat. Suddenly, I felt that we should call our baby John. Later, after his birth, I asked my wife what she thought we should call him, barely holding back the knowledge that I had the right answer. She said - almost apologetically, like she was forcing something onto me - "Well, I think his name is John."
  • I remember following the only route that I knew to the birth center, and finding a tractor trailer jack-knifed across the road. As I pulled up to the scene, a police officer stepped up to wave me off. I rolled down my window and said, "Officer, how do I get to the birth center? My wife is having a baby!" How classic is that?
  • After he was born, I remember looking at that tiny little body, and seeing that he was perfect. When he was born, there was not a blemish on his skin; aside from some bruising around his eyes, he had this perfect white smoothness.
  • And he was strong! His one-minute APGAR score was a 10, which I think the midwives downgraded to a 9 just because they felt that no baby should get a score of 10.
  • I remember having to dress a baby for the first time in my life at the birth center, under the gaze of the midwife. It seemed to take forever. I was so afraid of hurting him! I think that the midwife eventually took pity on me and helped out.
  • I remember our time of resting at the birth center being over far too quickly. They kicked us out and told us to go home! The morning was bright and sunny, but very cold. I was afraid that this fragile baby would get frostbitten in the ten feet between the building and my car.
  • I remember driving home trying to grasp the concept that I was now a father and that we had a baby.
  • I remember getting back to our apartment, and seeing some construction workers. I wanted to yell over to them, "Look! Look at my son! Isn't he wonderful!" I thought that this is how evangelism ought to feel - just an overwhelming joy that you have to share.

Thank you, Father, for the gift of my son. Here's to my guy, all big and tall now. Happy Birthday, John!

9 comments:

  1. that is so sweet! I especially love how God gave each of you his name, seperately (although it does make sense that He would be saying the same thing to both of you; it's just funny how it still surprises us when we get the same answer:)).

    Question: had you guys not even talked about baby names before he was born? Drew and I discuss it a lot, and we haven't even gotten pregnant yet!

    I hope John has a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats really awesome... seriously.. you almost brought tears to my eyes... so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DID bring tears to my eyes, Peaj! What a wonderful tribute to John! I hope you all have a really blessed and happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it -- and all the better because you had to stop and ask the police for directions. Classic!

    Happy birthday to John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woops. Jed is not commenting on your blog. That was me! I didn't realize he was signed into google on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kathie: it brought tears to my eyes, too.

    We had a great time. John & I watched Iron Man tonight. From his exclamations of "that is so cool!" I gathered that he enjoyed it.

    Jess: We had talked and talked and talked about names, but hadn't come up with anything that really stuck. We didn't know from ultrasound or anything (my darling bride objects to ultrasound unless there is a medical concern), but we strongly suspected that he was a boy before he was born, so we barely considered girl names. Good thing the Lord knew what he wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before Nathan was born, John always called him, "Harvey", the giant rabbit from the Jimmy Stewart movie of the same name...because we knew he was there, but we couldn't see him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this post is such an awesome tribute for your son to be able to read and find out what you were thinking/feeling before he was born. I am definitely doing something like that on MY son's next birthday; he's PROBABLY old enough to appreciate it now. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PJ- it's so wonderful to read this. Just months after Jonas' birth it's so beautiful to see how the memories of John's birth have stayed with you so vividly and tenderly. I sometimes fear losing my memories of my children's first moments, so this is a special gift.

    ReplyDelete