January 29, 2009

Fireproof

The missus and I saw the movie Fireproof last fall during our anniversary. If you are not familiar with the movie, it is the story of how a couple was on the brink of divorce, and how a challenge of self sacrifice from the husband's father led to the husband's conversion to Christianity and the eventual winning back of his wife.

I thought that it was a well done movie. It might not sound like it from the above description, but I thought that the movie was convincing in the way it portrayed the reality of the relationships involved.  There were no magic answers, and the characters were believeably selfish, short-sighted and resistant to change.  The solution wasn't as easy as saying "Now I shall be self-sacrificing" - there was real struggle involved.  I found the movie very, well, moving.  I'm pretty easily affected by any movie or TV show where the characters actually show humility and say "I'm sorry," and so I cried several times during the movie.

The wife loved it so much that she preordered the DVD, and is organizing a private party of friends and our kids to watch the movie together. I heard her on the phone asking people to this showing, and apparently she thought that it would be a great selling point to relate how I had to fight "openingly sobbing" during the movie.  Now, come on, I know that a man being able to express and embrace his emotions is a good thing. But does anybody, guy or not, want to be known to all his or her friends as the one who couldn't keep it together during a movie, whether true or not?  I finally asked her to stop selling the movie that way.  Sheesh.

Now I need to face all these people when we watch this movie together.  Will I cry a lot?  Will they be watching me to see if I cry?  Will I embarrass myself?  Maybe I should go on the offensive before the movie starts.  "Where are the Kleenexes?  Watch out, I'm going to start bawling like a baby during the previews!"

Anyway, it is a good movie. I do recommend it to anyone who wants to see what sacrificial love can do.

Oh, and just so you know: I love my darling wife. If anything you read here seems to imply that I don't completely respect her or that I think ill of her, then you read it wrong.

8 comments:

  1. hahahaha--I can just hear Donna saying that about you having to fight "openly sobbing" and it makes me laugh!

    I keep hearing about this movie on other blogs, too; I gotta watch it, it seems! Thanks for the great recommendation;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, the wife tells me that it is in Redbox right now, so it only costs a buck!

    I did see it tonight, and I didn't interrupt the movie with my loud weeping and gnashing of teeth. I wasn't the only guy crying, either. We saw it at Bruce and Lynn's. Man, that's a huge TV they have! Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to see that movie with my mom...on your recommendation, PJ. We liked it very much. I agree with your assessment of the movie. Jess, you should see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw--how cool you were at my mom and pop's! I haven't seen anything on that new tv yet--jealous!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pj or anyone else who has seen it (I have not) -

    Do you think only Christians would like this movie? I read about it in Christianity Today and I wasn't sure from their analysis.

    Also, was it funny at all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know whether non-Christians would enjoy this. I think so, but it kind of depends. If they are hostile to Christianity, they may be offended at the idea that faith in God is necessary in order to be truly self-forgetful in love. There are references to Scripture and to Jesus, and at least one lengthy scene where the need for asking forgiveness of God is discussed. However, the story never loses its focus on the central story of this married couple and their struggle, so I think that if the person is at all Christcurious that they will be entertained.

    And yes, there are some very funny moments. They did a good job of following up some of the very intense scenes with some more lighthearted ones.

    Do you want to get together sometime and see it? Then you can judge for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do want to see it sometime. When are you and Donna going to be in LA again? :-) Or maybe when we're back on the east coast this summer...

    It's interesting to me, because it's basically a really accomplished church drama program that makes these films, so I'm curious about the quality of acting and writing and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jase,

    Not sure if the left coast has Redbox, but I saw it in there, and that's only a buck. Plus, I heard that you have Netflix...

    The first time I saw the movie, I was mostly just drawn into the story. The second time through I noticed things like how it's obvious that some of the actors are not professionals, and the distracting reuse of a location for two different scenes. But it held up really well on a second viewing. I could definitely watch it again.

    ReplyDelete